Sunday, February 14, 2010

What Does Valentine's Day Have to Do with Weight Loss?


by Dinneen
a Holistic Health Counselor and owner of http://www.eatwithoutguilt.com/

 
"For Valentine’s Day, instead of looking for love from others, this year do something different – decide to love yourself and give something wonderful to YOU. Don’t wait for someone else. Love you and all that you are, AS IS.   Don’t wait until you are 100, 50, 25 or even 5 pounds lighter. Realize that who you are inside is what counts, not the number on the scale. That number is not a reflection of who you are, but rather of how you treat yourself.


It’s great to want to eat better, get exercise, and lose some weight to be healthier and FEEL better so you can live a full life. But you can’t do that until you love yourself. You see, when you love yourself you treat yourself better. And when you treat yourself better, you’re much more inclined -and motivated - to do those things that make you happier, healthier, and yes thinner.


So take a step back and realize just how wonderful you are. Sit, take a moment and even write down things that you love about yourself. Glow in it, and see that you ARE a special person, a person that deserves love from you. Don’t wait until you get to “some point” in life or on the scale. Don’t wait to live and love yourself fully.  By loving yourself first, and then treating yourself better – only then can you start the journey to lose weight.


You see, I was in your shoes. For years I kept waiting until the day I would be thinner, have a flatter stomach, ate more “good” foods, look thinner in my clothes, and be the right size. I kept waiting for those outside things to make me feel better.  But then one day I realized, “Hey, I AM a great person! I have lots to give to the world, and why am I waiting to start fully living and enjoying life?” A light-bulb literally went off in my head.


So I started to love myself more and treat myself better. And you know what happened? I started to eat better, get more exercise, and look at food as my friend instead of the enemy. I realized that eating better foods and taking better care of myself was an expression of loving myself.


Then, and only then, was I on the road to a happier and more fulfilling life. And you know what? I started to lose weight. And have more energy, and have more vitality for LIFE.  I was eating better and being nicer to my body. I read information on what were really healthy foods, how to integrate them more into my life, and how to cook them to be tastier and more satisfying.


As a result, I started to enjoy food and look forward to meals instead of dreading them like before (for fear of eating the wrong foods, eating too much, or eating for the wrong reasons). I learned that mealtimes were a chance for me to say “I love you and I want to take care of you the best that I can.”  Then I learned how to have some chocolate and not let it overtake me. I ate a little and was completely satisfied. I didn’t need more to feel good, I actually needed – and ate – LESS!


This started my journey to a life where I can now eat what I want when I want, and know how to make the best choices in food that feed ME, and not my soul.  So this Valentine’s Day decide to love YOU for who you are right now. Don’t wait until you’re thinner, sexier, or fit better into your jeans. Love yourself now, I mean really love yourself. Your soul, your mind, and your jeans will start to love you back!"

Bravo Dinneen! I couldn't have said it better myself. Just the part about learning to eat chocolate in moderation, well, that might not be true for all of us. Personally, I don't negotiate with sugar and find my life is much sweeter in return. But the rest, about loving yourself NOW, as you are, I completely agree. You can't make lifestyle change from a place of self-hatred or self-loathing. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
love,

emily

No comments:

Post a Comment