Monday, June 14, 2010

Food, recipes, random bits of news

Today I have a bunch of random unrelated stuff to share:

1.  I was asked to write a guest post on a gorgeous and inspiring new website called http://www.flavorsofisrael.com/.  Even if you don't live here, the pictures are so beautiful, the writers are the tops, and the info is really just fascinating.  My post is here:  http://www.flavorsofisrael.com/2010/06/11/cant-stand-the-heat/  and I have a favor to ask of you.  I would really like to be asked to write more for this website, so if you could go and read my post and leave a comment (obviously something positive), the site owners will think "Wow, this Emily-chick sure brings in a lot of traffic!  Let's ask her to write more." and that would be awesome.  Thanks in advance and thanks Oran for commenting before I even asked!

2.  Here's the latest on my health:  The diagnosis is Gastritis, which is an irritation of the stomach lining.  Duh, I could have told you that and saved a ton of time and money, but I am glad to have ruled out all sorts of scary, serious problems.

It is unclear why I have it, but some of my tests have hinted towards either allergies or parasites.  The next stop is the gastroenterologist at the end of the month.  In the meantime, I am learning what causes me pain and am able to avoid it for the most part.  You guys won't believe this, but ALL raw fruits and veggies put me crying in the fetal position for hours!  What was totally the basis of my diet, now I can't touch, so I am learning to adapt.  It's actually anything with very much fiber that causes problems, and since most vegan proteins, come with lots of fiber, I have added back dairy and eggs for the time-being.

3.  Reflexology.  So you see how I linked Oran's name to her website above?  Oran is a great friend and a part of my amazing business and personal support team.  She's also a terrific reflexologist.  Two times I have been in meetings where Oran is there right at the time I am suffering from terrible stomach pain.  Both times, she worked for several minutes on the stomach points in the palms of my hands and BOTH times the pain was greatly relieved!  Friends, reflexology works.  And you don't even have to take your shoes off.  It's not just for stomach aches of course either.  Go see Oran: 
http://www.reflexandmore.com/index.html

4.  COOKING!  I have been cooking but forgetting to photograph.  I did get some pictures of a few things, here with some recipes...

World Cup Sweet & Salty Nuts

OK, so let's be honest ladies.  This is the reason we really watch the World Cup:

Mr. Bocanegra

But since we are forced to watch hour after hour of beautiful, sweaty men chase a ball back and forth, we may as well eat some munchy snacks, right?

World Cup Sweet & Salty Nuts
(This recipe is vegan, but not very healthy)
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw pecans
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (the green ones)
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup Brazil nuts (come on, you have to have Brazil nuts in a dish named for the World Cup!)
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin or schwarma seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 T soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 160 C.  Combine curry, cumin and salt and set aside.  Mix all the nuts in a large pot.  To the pot add the oil and the sugar.  Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the maple syrup and the soy sauce and cook a few minutes longer until it starts bubbling.  Spread onto a large baking sheet and sprinkle with the spice-salt mixture.  Bake 10 minutes and then stir.  Bake another 10 minutes and stir.  Bake a final 10 minutes, watching carefully that it doesn't burn.  (Mine burned a bit as you see above).  Let cool and break into pieces.  Serve to hungry soccer fans and others who seem glued to the tv for whatever... ahem...personal reason.

Labane Balls with Za'atar in Olive Oil

Say what?

Labane is a tangy semi-firm yogurt cheese eaten here in the Mid East.  Sometimes it's served creamy like yogurt and sometimes rolled into little balls like above and store covered with olive oil.  Here it is served a top a salad:

Labane Balls
(This recipe is healthy, but not vegan)
3-4 cups yogurt, sheep or goat is preferred, but you can try it with cow
1 tsp sea salt

Mix the salt and the yogurt and spoon into a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth you can secure at the top.  Hang it up over a bowl if you can and let it drain for 2 days.  Then roll into into little balls and store covered with olive oil.  You can also roll the balls into za'atar, which is a divine spice mixture made of hyssop, sumac and sesame seeds.  There's a recipe and info on za'atar on Flavors of Israel:  http://www.flavorsofisrael.com/2010/06/06/how-to-make-and-eat-zaatar/

I think you are supposed to let the yogurt drain in the bag for two days ON THE COUNTER, but it is so hot here right now and there are flies b/c we have no screens (don't ask, it's a complete mystery to me), so I did it in the fridge and it was fine.  If you have a cool kitchen and no flies, go for it on the counter.  I imagine it will be even tangier and have more probiotics that way.

Lastly...
Secret Recipe Raw Candy Bars!

Vegan?  Check!  Healthy?  Check!  Yummy beyond belief?  Check!!!
No sugar, no flour, no animal products.

I am working on this recipe for a class I will be teaching, so I am here to tempt you with these pictures in hopes you will sign up!  Mwahahaha! (evil laugh)

More deets on cooking class when I've got 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment