Saturday, November 21, 2009

1st Vegan Weekend Report & Meal Planning

I'm still here and doing much better now.  I got over my week one hump and now things are going more smoothly.
Here are some of the yummy vegan things I've eaten in the past couple of days:

That is the juice of 3 oranges and one pomegranate which I shared with my sweet husband.


Tofu w/Broccoli in Peanut Sauce

We went for hummus in Tel Aviv on Friday.  It took me awhile to get into the whole hummus-as-an-entire-meal thing they do here in Israel but now I can't get enough.  I want to blog about the meal/experience sometime but this time we fell on our plates so ravenously that by the time my conscious mind registered "camera" "blog", we were already licking the plates clean.

So instead, I offer you, The Mediterranean Sea:


Some other yummy vegan things we ate this weekend were:
Tomato Soup
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Rosemary, Garlic and Olive Oil
Arugula Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Tahina Dressing

And I ate Challah on Shabbat before realizing that Challah is made with eggs.  Ooops.  Will have to try that again.

HEALTH COACH TIP:  Today I will spend some time menu planning for the week ahead.  I always do menu planning once a week and it's something I seriously recommend to everyone who is having trouble with food or weight, or wishing to transition to a healthier diet.  Just take an hour or so, while watching your favorite tv show or whatever.  Look at your date book and map out the week ahead. 

Which nights will you have time to cook?
Which nights will you need to have something prepared in advanced?
Who will be home for what meals?
When will you have a chance to shop for food items?

I have a blank chart that I made with slots for all the meals.  I will send it to you if you send me an email Emily@TriumphWellness.com.  I start with dinners and fill in those first.  Then I move on to lunches, which are often dinner leftovers.  Then I plan in snacks and breakfasts.  It doesn't matter if you stick to this plan perfectly or allow changes that come up to change your meals.  I just find it helps to have a general idea of what you are going to cook when and it's a great stress reliever to not walk into the kitchen starving at 5pm on a busy weeknight and think "WHAT am I going to make for dinner?"

Here in Israel our weekend is over tonight and we wish one another a Shavuah Tov, or a Good Week.  For those of you in countries where it's still weekend, enjoy the rest and relaxation!

Blogger has apparently done away with the spell check feature?!  I am opening an actual dictionary for the first time in about 20 years.  Forgive me for mistakes I don't catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment