Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ta-Da 2 weeks vegan!

So it's been two weeks as a vegan and to tell you the truth, I feel no different yet.  The upside is that I certainly don't feel any worse for lack of eggs and dairy.  I do crave cheese a lot when I make grilled cheese for the kids, but it's not so bad.  It's too soon for me to make any determination about what my food future holds...

Here are some of the things I've eaten recently:

These are smoothies with frozen blackberries, bananas, ground flaxseeds, water, and the green stuff, which is Purslane in English, Regilat in Hebrew.  High in those Omega-3's! 
(The kids did drink these but said to tell the blog readers that "we've had better").





This is The Breakfast Cookie from http://www.fitnessista.com/

I had to modify the recipe a bit based on ingredients available to us here in Israel.  The original recipe can be found on her blog as linked above.

1/3 cup oats
1 T tahina or peanut butter
1/8 cup non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
cinnamon
cardamom
raisins

You just mix it all together at night.  Then spread it into a plate and refridgerate overnight.  In the morning it's a solid-ish cookie and perfect pre or post workout.  (I had it before a Friday morning jog).

And then there's this...


This... is a cupcake.

But it's a vegan cupcake!

Vegans have to go to birthday parties too.  It was my nephew's big boy 2nd birthday tonight so I brought the vegan cupcakes!


I can't put the recipe for these babies here because it's not mine, but rather from this cookbook:



Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Here's a hint though: That luscious chocolate buttercream? It's made with tofu and it's sooooo delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment