Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 3 and please remind me never to go to a Bnai Akiva event again

Sorry, but those Bnai Akiva shows should just be for the kids.  I am seriously wishing I had not been there to see that sort of behavior.  All the Israeli parents reading this know what I'm talking about.  The rest of you just be glad that you don't.

OK, so onto the food...

Breakfast this morning was one of my giant green smoothies (I have one of my clients to thank for the evolution of this smoothie. You know who you are!):



This one had:
1 banana
2 persimmons
1 Medjool date
5 walnuts
1 T ground flaxseeds
2 cups spinach leaves
1 cup wheatgrass
3 cups water

Was it tasty-yum, you ask?  Well, I'm not going to lie to you.  It wasn't the yummiest thing I've ever eaten, but it wasn't bad either.  The fruit keeps it sweet and the greens aren't so prominent tasting.  It's better with a mango or oranges, but all I had were those persimmons today.  BUT, look how in one meal, I have had 4 servings of fruit, 3 servings of fresh, raw green vegetables, healthy essential fatty acids and fiber from the walnuts and the flax.  If the rest of this day should happen to fall apart foodwise, I have already consumed what my body needs at breakfast.  This makes me feel really good.

Anyway, that makes an entire blenderful and it took me about an hour to finish it.  I was not hungry again until 1pm when I finished working.  I had taught another class today so I had the leftovers of a new batch of tempeh chili and cheezy potato skins.  Then I had 4 brown rice cakes with hummus.  Green Tea.

For a mid-afternoon snack I made my healthy brownie balls (recipe here ) but this time I used mint extract instead of vanilla and had a delish minty-chocolately treat!


Dinner was the leftovers from last night's rice noodles with veggies.


Rice Lo Mein
(this is so easy it's ridiculous)
Boil 1 package rice noodles per instructions on package.
Rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Stir-fry your favorite veggies in a bit of sesame oil until tender crisp.  (Here I used onion, carrot and broccoli)
Add noodles and some soy sauce and toss all to combine.
Top with mung bean sprouts.
Would be good with chopped peanuts too.

And yes, my kids will eat this!

I also made a batch of Vegan Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Muffins.  They were amazing.  I didn't photograph them yet so I'm going to make you wait for the recipe tomorrow with a picture.

Until then...
emily

1 comment:

  1. I tried a version of your green smoothy. I added some lemon juice - not sure if that is 'allowed' or not. I haven't read up much on green smoothies, but have been wanting to try one. It looked horrid, but tasted ok

    ReplyDelete