Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 65 Spicy Soup for a Rainy Day

The morning started with a Green Smoothie.  I didn't photograph it because it looks the same as every other green smoothie.  It had a banana, an orange, 3 passioflora, a handful of micro-greens and about 2 cups of water.  (I'm out of flaxseeds, egads).

Then I had a really tough full body workout with cardio intervals and was starving by the time I finished up.  So I had breakfast again!

Whipped Banana Oats with Coconut
3 smoked tofu strips
side salad of baby greens and tomato

I was super duper full after all of that and didn't need to eat again until around 4pm, when I ate hummus on a few rice cakes.

Dinner was Soup & Salad

Gypsy Soup
(based on a recipe of the same name in the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)

1 T olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp Hawaij for soup
1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder (smoked jalapeno)
pinch saffron
salt and pepper to taste
splash red wine
1 cup crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted if that's an option)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
5 cups water

Saute onions in oil, add remaining vegetables.  Add spices.  Cook for 5-10 minutes.  Deglaze pan with wine.  Add tomatoes, chickpeas and water.  Bring to a boil.  reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes ot until flavors and blended to your taste.

I served the above with a cheesy cornbread for my family.  It would be a good vegan meal with some vegan cornbread, like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment