Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 66 Burrrrrrritos!

I feel a cold coming on, so I started my day with the juice of a grapefruit and 2 oranges:



My lunch, inspired by an Engine 2 recipe, as the title suggests, was a rockin' bean burrito!

First I made a batch of Red Lenitl Hummus.  If you're a client of mine you have probably tried this recipe, as I use it quite a lot.  Otherwise, it's in Get It Ripe, so I can't post it online.  Email me privately and we'll see what we can do, but seriously, you need to buy this cookbook already.  You can see how often I use it.  And no, I don't know the author or benefit in any way by promoting it.  It's just a really good cookbook.

Anyway, I spread a layer of red lentil hummus onto a whole wheat tortilla.  I'm sure you could use whatever commerical hummus you had available or even fat-free canned refried beans:


Then I added a layer of water-sauteed Swiss Chard (Mangold for my Israeli readers) and onions:


Then I rolled it up, topped it with salsa and popped it into the oven for a few minutes to warm it all up.

So Yum.
This will be my new Go-To Lunch.  Next time I'm going to make it with onions, peppers and mushrooms.  And maybe some tofu sour cream to top it off?  Guacamole maybe?  The possibilities are endless.

In the afternoon I was jonesing for something sweet so I whipped up a batch of raw cookies with a new twist:

Oat-Gogi-Cacao Balls

1 cup oats
dash sea salt
1/2 cup raisins
6 Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 T natural peanut butter
2-3 T water
2 T sesame seeds
2 T gogi berries
2 T raw cacao nibs

Process oats and salt in food processor until finely ground.  Add raisins, dates, almond extract and peanut butter.  Process until mixture begins to hold together, adding water slowly until it begins to form a ball. Add sesame seeds, gogi berries and cacao nibs and just pulse a few times to coarsely chop.  Roll into balls.  Eat.  Have lots and lots of energy.



Then go see Avatar in 3-D beacuse it's amazing.
(But try not to see it in a foreign country where your command of the written language is poor, because when the Navi speak to one another, the subtitles will be in Hebrew and there's no way in heck you'll be able to read them fast enough.)

No comments:

Post a Comment