Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 77 We've Got Quiche!

One of the things I really love and was afraid I would miss as a vegan, is Quiche.  Or as it's called here in Israel, Pashtida.  Thank heavens I was able to come up with a vegan version this week and it is just as yummy as the original with a fraction of the fat, none of the cholesterol and none of the animal cruelty.
Vegan Vegetable Quiche

Crust:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cold-pressed coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil
1 tsp sea salt
2-3 T cold water

Place flour and salt in FP.  Pulse in fat until uniform and crumbly.  Slowly add water, pulsing, just until dough sticks together in a ball.  Wrap ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Vegetables:
You can use whatever veggies you want, but I water-sauteed 1 onions, 3 zucchini and a few handfuls of spinach.

Filling:
1 package tofu
1 cup dairy-free milk (I used oat milk)
1 tsp mustard
2 T tahina
2 T Nutritional Yeast (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Blend in FP until smooth and creamy.

Assembly:
Take crust out of fridge and roll into a circle.  Place in your pie plate and pat into place up the sides and forming a lip at the edge.  Place veggies into crust.  Pour filling over veggies.  Then I topped it with tomato slices and a dusting of paprika.  Place in a pre-heated 180 C oven and cook 30-40 mins until firm.



I also made an amazing creamy vegan soup for our guests on Friday night and once again, the pot was licked clean!  Even my kids were begging for 2nds!  This is the first time I have ever eaten Jerusalem Artichokes and I think I'm in love.

Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
750g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 T olive oil
2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups water
1 cup non dairy milk, again I used oat milk

Saute leeks in oil.  Add jerusalem artichokes and garlic, then potatoes.  Don't cook for too long - you don't want anything to brown or it will discolor the soup.  Add the water, salt and pepper, and simmer covered 30 minutes until everything is soft.  Cool a bit.  Puree soup in blender.  Return to pot.  Thin to your preference with water and/or non-dairy milk.  Bring back to a gentle simmer and serve.  SO GOOD!


Next I give you a green juice that I made and drank at some point.  Purty isn't it?  It had a ton of stuff in it:  wheatgrass, oranges, cucumbers, fennel and celery.  It was yummy.


AND the baby pigeons!  They are almost full grown now.  It all happened so fast.  They fly, but they still rely on their parents to barf in their mouths for food.  Aw, sweet memories...  Here are a few pictures of the two of them hanging out with Dad. 
Is this the little bird I carried....

Is this the little bird at play....

I'm such a dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment