Monday, March 15, 2010

Sometimes Cookies Happen

Today was just to be a second day of no sugar, no wheat, no coffee and no dairy, but I oops-ed the sugar and wheat, so just no coffee or dairy it was.  More on that in a sec.

For breakfast I had a giant smoothie.  Then I had a tough weight workout.  After returning home, I lunched on this (close your eyes if you want me to still be vegan):


Eggs, broccoli with garlic, red lentil hummus on rice cakes.  I don't eat eggs very often but was dragging towards the end of the workout and felt a bit of protein was called for.  It's important to listen to your body.

Then I was multi-tasking you see - testing a recipe for a cookbook I was asked to review AND using up chametz (flour) - when I went face first into the peanut butter cookie dough. 

NOT part of the cleanse

Anyway, I will tell you more about those cookies when I get the book review all finished.  Today, I am dusting the flour off my cheeks and moving on with spring cleansing as planned.

Dinner was a bowl of the Pumpkin Tofu Curry I cooked for the Sugar Detox group last week:

Pumpkin Tofu Curry

1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cups cubed pumpkin or orange squash
3 cloves garlic, minced
One slice of fresh ginger root, minced
1 tsp curry powder or to taste
Pinch red pepper flakes or to taste
Salt and black pepper
250g sugar-free tomato paste or sauce
1 can coconut milk
1 package of tofu, cut into cubes
2 cups frozen peas

Sauté onion and pumpkin in oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant. Add seasonings and then tomato paste. Stir, then add coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes until pumpkin is soft. Add tofu and simmer 7 more minutes. Add frozen peas and re-warm until peas and heated through.
 
Now I'm off to make a giant salad for Bookclub tonight.    See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment